Tuesday, May 27, 2014

Weekly Update #21

What I’ve been doing (and hope to do next)


This week I rewrote the prologue and chapters 1 and 2 of Watchbearers book 2.

Wait!  What?  If you’ve been following these updates, you’ll realize this is a departure from how I’d been doing the rewrite, but I don’t mind admitting that I made a mistake.  I’m just grateful to have realized that taking each POV character as a block on their own wasn’t working.

I’m sure I’ll talk about this in more depth when I write the ‘behind the story’ posts for this book – but I found that, in subtle ways, the different characters’ stories were becoming more isolated from each other.  But although the storylines for the various characters are more separate than in previous books, this is still one big story, not a collection of related short stories.  So what I needed to be doing was subtly drawing the storylines together – in theme and tone, even where they’re divergent in plot.

The work I’d been doing wasn’t wasted, as I made some good improvements to Anya’s story I can keep, but I’ll be rewriting her chapters again as I come to them.  I’ve started all over from the beginning, and rewritten the prologue for the third time now and made some significant changes, but it’s all the better for it.  And I’m happy with how Verity’s and Turner’s first chapters have turned out.

All in all, this had been a good learning experience, and I believe I’ll be a better writer for it.

No comments: